This training from Lighthouse Safe and Supported assists youth-serving professionals in understanding the unique needs and issues LGBTQ young people experience in order to better serve this population.
Training Goals and Objectives
- Explore personal values regarding LGBTQ youth and young adults and learn to balance personal beliefs with professional responsibilities.
- Identify issues of risk, challenges, and strengths specific to LGBTQ youth, their families, other caregivers, and service delivery systems.
- Develop an action plan that will develop or enhance professional and agency cultural competency.
- Increase competence in discussing sexual orientation and gender identity with youth.
- Help families and other caregivers adapt and adjust to young people’s sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Identify affirmative interventions and community resources for LGBTQ youth, their families, other caregivers and service providers.
5.5 CEUs are available for participation in this training.
Breakfast and lunch are provided. Breakfast is served at 8:30 a.m. and the training begins at 9:00 a.m.