LGBTQ Cultural Competency Training
Safe and Supported offers free LGBTQ cultural competency training to assist youth-serving professionals in providing supportive and affirming care to LGBTQ young people.
Training Goals and Objectives
- Explore personal values regarding LGBTQ youth and young adults and learn to balance personal beliefs with professional responsibilities.
- Identify issues of risk, challenges and strengths specific to LGBTQ youth, their families, other caregivers and service delivery systems.
- Develop an action plan that will develop or enhance professional and agency cultural competency.
- Increase competence in discussing sexual orientation and gender identity with youth.
- Help families and other caregivers adapt and adjust to young people’s sexual orientation and gender identity.
- To identify affirmative interventions and community resources for LGBTQ youth, their families, other caregivers and service providers.
All organizations that offer the training to employees are eligible for free technical assistance putting into practice key learning from the training. This includes assistance with policy review, form revisions, and planning inclusive bathrooms and residential spaces.
To request more information or to schedule a training, please complete the Training Request Form. You can also register for one of our community trainings by visiting our Training Registration Page on Eventbrite.