Safe and Supported, a project of Lighthouse Youth & Family Services, offers LGBTQ cultural competency training. The training is open to anyone in the community and assists professionals who serve youth understand the unique needs and issues that LGBTQ young people experience.
Training Goals and Objectives
- Explore personal values regarding LGBTQ youth and young adults and learn to balance personal beliefs with professional responsibilities.
- Identify issues of risk, challenges and strengths specific to LGBTQ youth, their families, other caregivers and service delivery systems.
- Develop an action plan that will develop or enhance professional and agency cultural competency. Increase competence in discussing sexual orientation and gender identity with youth.
- Help families and other caregivers adapt and adjust to young people’s sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Identify affirmative interventions and community resources for LGBTQ youth, their families, other caregivers and service providers.
Training cost $15 and 5.5 CEUs are available. A light breakfast and lunch are served. Learn more and register here.